1. ATTENTION EXISTING USERS: If this is your first visit to the new forum, you must reset your password. Please go to http://cobrakitcar.net/lost-password to reset your password.

Dismiss Notice

New headers

Discussion in 'LS-427' started by TexasDoc, Jun 24, 2015.

1. TexasDoc

TexasDoc Member

I'm in the market for new headers. I have never been happy with the way the current ones seal against the block or against the collector flange. I think I may have a leak too. Another problem with the stock headers is that the header pipe is way too close to the bolt hole. You can barely get the smallest head bolt in there to tighten it down. I'd like to use some locking bolts but the heads on these are way too big to fit our headers.

I have the AFR-195 heads. They have the standard bolt holes that all SBF heads have. However, there are additional holes, approximately 1/2 inch away from each exhaust port. So each exhaust port has four header bolt holes.

So, I'm looking to buy a new set of headers. Hopefully some with the wider bolt hole pattern. Anyone replace their headers, and if so, where did you get them?

2. Luce

Luce Member

Any new header would be a custom made and quite expensive piece. But you could easily make a template to drill the larger footprint holes in the existing header flange. Another option might be weld a new flange with the larger holes on to your existing header. As for the mating flange, check the flatness. You may need to mill the weld beads flat.

If you want a challenge, use the existing header to make a jig, and make yourself some really sweet ones from 16ga 304 stainless.

3. 427GTO

427GTO New Member

I had a custom set made by old school speed and custom. They did a very nice job, 3/8" thick flanges and large diameter tubes.