1. ATTENTION EXISTING USERS: If this is your first visit to the new forum, you must reset your password. Please go to http://cobrakitcar.net/lost-password to reset your password.

Dismiss Notice

Quick Change Rear End ?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by 427HISS, Aug 23, 2012.

1. 427HISS

427HISS Member

Has anyone tried a Q/C rearend ?

2. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Kevin:

Past sprint car experience....they are louder due to spur cut gears vs helical. Might be something to consider since you are sitting right by the axle housing. Easy to change ratios in - street vs track.

3. 427HISS

427HISS Member

Hello Kenny, we race sprint cars, so that's why I'm asking about a Q/C in our Cobras, lol
    With my rebuild, I'll be road racing, dragging, top speed events like the Sandhills Open Road Challange, street cruising & highway use etc..

So a Q/C would be awesome, if the center section will fit between the fuel cell and trunk floor. Winters now has small centers that are about the size of the Ford 9", like the "Front" Q/C.

4. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

That's pretty funny. Then you are quite familiar with the noise they put out.
    I think it would be cool to do, if the smaller housing fits in there.
    Good luck and post pics.

5. 427HISS

427HISS Member

Where/when did you race ?
    Our local track is outing the 360 class for the IMCA RaceSaver 305, almost crate motor. It sucks, but the engines are a lot cheaper. $30.00-$40.00 (+) to I think, $8.000.

We race just 2 miles from my home in Eagle Ne., I-80, Knoxville, Kansas etc....in the midwest. We raced against Tony Stewert last spring here at Eagle Raceway last spring, and he won !
    But he also has twice the money in his sprint than most everyone that raced him, but it was fun !

http://www.racesaver.com/rules.cfm?rk=1

I'm sure my newer stainless side pipes I build will be louder than the Q/C. lol :lol:

I'm just thinking of the Winters, not decided yet. Pretty expensive.

6. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Early to late 90's, I crewed on a local IMCA Sprint team. We ran at Devil's Bowl, Royce City, Boyd, and Paradise. We built an ASCS car and went to Valdosta, Tampa, Dallas, and Salina. Had a ton of fun.
    Yes, the pipes will definitely help to cover the sound.
    Best thing to do is be honest with yourself where you will use the car most, street or strip, and build to suit.

7. Bwana Snake

Bwana Snake Member

427 Hiss, you doing the San Hill Open Road Race next year? We did the Big Bend the last two years and plan to try and do both next year and maybe add a Nevada event. I hear it is hard to get into the San Hill race. Just bought a new Boss 302 Laguna for that purpose.