1. ATTENTION EXISTING USERS: If this is your first visit to the new forum, you must reset your password. Please go to http://cobrakitcar.net/lost-password to reset your password.

Dismiss Notice

Rack and Pinion

Discussion in 'Race Talk' started by CapnCrunch, Jun 8, 2005.

1. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Member

Does anyone know of a rack and pinion that has a faster ratio that will bolt right in. I think the one you get with the kit is 18:1 or 20:1, would like to try a 15:1.
    CC

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

You may want to try Flaming River. I believe theur do.

3. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Member

Thats the first place I went, they don't have one. Standard unit is a Mustang II. Anyone else have thoughts?

4. BPWilliams

BPWilliams Member

Crunch,
    You are right I could not find anything on this.....
    Brian

5. BPWilliams

BPWilliams Member

I just heard of a 13:1 rack 3.3 turns side to side from flamming river, but it has diffrent mounting holes....

6. tabcobra

tabcobra Member

Mateo, what's wrong with you?? If you're a "special" person, just let us know and we'll know how to deal with you. :?

7. BPWilliams

BPWilliams Member

Captn,
    Any luck on the steering rack? I was out at the Autocross track over the weekend and wew what a work out on the short course. I was wondering if you had made any headway on the faster steering set-up...

Thanks,
    Brian

8. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Member

Yes, you haven't been around in a long time have you. I installed the Flaming River Mustang II power steering rack. It is all documented with parts numbers in the 427 forum. It is great, you will wonder why you waited.
    8)
    CC

9. BPWilliams

BPWilliams Member

Does that mean that you now have an HP sucking pump on your motor or did you modify it to use manual?

Yes I have been busy, school, grandkids, life, you know... But now back to the important stuff.. :wink:

I talked to FR today and they said best they could do is the 3.3 in manual..

Brian

10. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Member

I went the power route with a 15:1 rack with 2.33 turns lock to lock which is superb for autocross. It is great at high speeds on the highway even, not twitchy at all. I am at -2 on camber and about 5.5 on caster so it drives well.

8)
    CC